Whether we like it or not, classes get cancelled. (Sometimes we call it a labour disruption when it lasts longer than one missed class due to the prof catching the flu.)
I’m currently experiencing a time where half of my classes are cancelled and the other half are ongoing, but I don’t get penalized if I don’t go to those so it’s basically a no-show for me at all my classes. Knowing students have a choice not to go means I might be the only person who shows up and that’s a TTC token wasted.
Don’t get me wrong, though, I’m not wasting my time when I choose not go to class. I’m still a student, I’ll simply be away from a traditional educational setting for a moment or two; but I’m going to make use of the resources I have available to me from where I am.
So, find a seat in the classroom called life. In the comfort of your home. Or, in your nearest coffee shop. And, put education into your own hands for a sec to the extent that you can.
Because even though the chair is empty, there’s still opportunity; ya can’t throw it away.
Here’s a couple things one can do as long as classes are cancelled:
- Educate yourself on the issues being bargained for AKA what are my rights and the rights of others?
- Do your assignments so you’re ready to hand things in once you’re back to school.
- Plan out your summer (or your next year even) by applying to different opportunities, doing research on potential jobs, etc…
- Update your LinkedIn account! (I am guilty of not doing this enough so I hope I get to it now.)
- Spend more time with your dog ❤️
- Read books you’ve always wanted to read outside class. Currently on my list: A Purpose Driven Life, Loveology, and The Screwtape Letters.
- Work on your other responsibilities more deeply OR pick up more shifts at work.
- See friends you’ve always want to see but never get to because of school OR visit your grandparents & younger cousins.
- Experiment with recipes by cooking for yourself at home!
Alright now you’ll have to excuse me because I gotta get back to working on an assignment! (I really have no excuse not to make the best of this situation because look at the 9 options I just lawyered myself with. I hope you get to make use of cancelled classes this week too!)
Thanks for reading, y’all!
Until next Monday,
With Manda ❤
Let’s keep in touch: